A-League pitch invasion: Bucket man Alex Agelopoulos banned from A-League games

An alleged soccer hooligan accused of injuring a player during a “notorious” pitch invasion in Melbourne with a bucket is on holiday.

Alex Agelopoulos, 23, faced Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday to ask for his bail conditions to be changed to allow him to live at an address in Northcote in Melbourne’s inner northeast.

He appeared via video, telling the court he was currently on “vacation” in Newcastle, New South Wales. He was represented by lawyer Martin Amad.

Mr Agelopoulos is banned from soccer games after handing himself in on December 19 when police released images of people they wanted to speak to over the pitch invasion at AAMI Park two days earlier.

Mr Agelopoulos is accused of hurling a bucket of sand at Melbourne City goalkeeper Tom Glover.

The incident occurred during the derby match between Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory on December 17, with more than 150 people storming the field at the 20th minute.

Mr Glover was hospitalised after the incident with lacerations to his face and a concussion.

Two security guards and a referee were also injured during the chaos, which caused an estimated $150,000 of damage to the stadium.

Mr Agelopoulos is facing charges of violent disorder, recklessly causing injury, discharging a missile, ­intent to cause injury, unlawful assault, entry to sporting competition space, disrupting a match, public nuisance and riotous behaviour.

He was given bail under strict orders not to attend AAMI Park or the surrounding precinct, not to attend any A-League match and not to attend any level match of Melbourne Victory.

In court, he told Magistrate John Hardy he understood the conditions.

“I don’t have the details in front of me but it clearly relates to something relatively notorious,” Mr Hardy said of the case.

Melbourne Victory were sanctioned by Football Australia last week, restricting attendance from fans until January 15.

The governing body has issued bans to 10 individuals, two for life and eight ranging from five to 20 years.

After the incident, Victoria Police launched Operation Astute to track down the estimated 150 people who invaded the pitch.

At least 25 people have been charged with various offences, while four others have been arrested and interviewed or issued cautions.

Those charged are scheduled to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court in late February or early March.

Police and security had a heavy presence at Monday’s match between Melbourne Victory and Western United.

Mr Agelopoulos has not been required to enter pleas and will return to court on February 27.

Read related topics:Melbourne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *