AFL trade news, updates: Luke Jackson deal, Jack Bowes, six-team trade axed, Jason Horne-Francis, Junior Rioli, Sam Weideman

The AFL trade period has three days to go in what many expect to be a flurry getting done across the next 72 hours.

Several big name stars are still holding out hope of joining new homes as teams engage and work out the best deals to get trades done.

Watch every match of the AFLW Season LIVE on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

From Jason Horne-Francis to Luke Jackson deals, all of the trade action will be covered here. Don’t miss any of the major news.

The first major domino has fallen with Fremantle finally landing Melbourne star ruckman Luke Jackson.

Jackson informed the club he wanted to return home to Western Australia which set off major talks between the Demons and both Fremantle and West Coast.

In the end the Dockers produced the better package to lure Jackson away.

The deal also involved the GWS Giants and sees Melbourne land pick 13, a future first round pick from Fremantle and a future second from GWS. The Giants get Toby Bedford from Melbourne.

Jackson is reportedly set to sign a deal of up to seven seasons at up to $900,000 per year as a Docker.

FOUR-WAY MEGA DEAL THE ‘MEATIEST IN AFL HISTORY’

The four-way mega deal is done.

In what’s been described as one of the heftiest trade deals in AFL history, the move involves four clubs, six first-round picks and last year’s No. 1 selection Jason Horne-Francis.

Horne-Francis and Junior Rioli will go to Port Adelaide, while the GWS Giants claim pick No. 1.

It also gives West Coast a strong draft hand.

The full details of the four-way trade are below:

— North Melbourne GETS picks 2, 3, 40, 43, Port’s future first and GIVES Jason Horne-Francis, pick 1 and Freo’s future third

— Port Adelaide GETS Jason Horne-Francis, Junior Rioli, Collingwood’s future second and Fremantle’s future third and GIVES picks 8, 43, 57, future first, future second and future third

— West Coast GETS picks 8, 12, Port’s future second and future third and GIVES Junior Rioli picks 2 and 40

— GWS Giants GET picks 1, 53 and 57 and GIVE picks 3, 12 and Collingwood’s future second

It marks the first time the No. 1 pick has been traded in 21 years, when Fremantle gave it to Hawthorn in exchange for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin.

Meanwhile, Horne-Francis has signed a six-year deal with Port Adelaide, tying him to the club until the end of 2028.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s Trading Day, North Melbourne legend David King argued that the Kangaroos were “dudded” by the deal.

“Horne-Francis was pick one – gone, pick one this year – gone. They’ve given up two pick ones for two and three. I don’t understand it at all,” he said on Trading Day.

“You can’t cry about spilt milk (after turning down Adelaide’s deal for pick one last year).

“They’ve been dudded.

“It just puts a full stop on an awful period.

“I’m extremely frustrated by this.

“I just don’t know at what stage North Melbourne will decide to invest in a tall forward of note.”

STAR ‘BETRAYED’ AS $1.6M TRADE DRAGS ON

Gold Coast Suns Jack Bowes has grown frustrated with the club as reports emerged he was seeking a trade away, News Corp’s Tom Boswell reports.

Bowes put pen to paper on a five-year deal with the Suns in 2019 and is set to earn $1.6m over the final two years of his heavily back-ended contract.

The young star is set to join the reigning premiers in a move that will clear cap space for the Suns and land them the number seven draft pick.

Boswell revealed Bowes has been left feeling “betrayed” by the club, reporting he never wanted to leave.

The youngster was told during his exit meeting the club were keen to trade him away, leaving him disappointed but not shocked

As Bowes was on holidays overseas reports began to emerge, labelling him a “wantaway Sun”, which reportedly left him irritated.

AFL AXE SIX-TEAM DEAL

On Sunday afternoon a six-team trade that would have been the biggest deal ever was shut down by the AFL.

The mega deal would have seen Jason Horne-Francis and Junior Rioli end up in Port Adelaide, landed GWS the number one pick and given West Coast a strong draft hand.

Unfortunately due to league rules the deal fell apart with the Power attempting to trade a future first and second round draft pick.

League rules stipulate that teams can trade out future first round picks, but must hold onto the rest of their selections for that draft.

The Power were hopeful of being allowed to ship out a handful of future picks, but the AFL stopped the deal in its tracks.

The AFL’s Callum Twomey detailed exactly what would have resulted had the mega-trade got across the line.

– North would received picks 2, 3, 33, 53 and a future first

– Port would have landed Jason Horne-Francis and Junior Rioli as well as pick 36

– GWS would have picked up the first overall pick

– West Coast would have received picks 8, 12 plus a future second and third round pick

– Brisbane would have landed Jack Gunston and pick 43

– Hawthorn would have landed pick 40

It means all clubs will now head back to the drawing board to try and get deals done ahead of Wednesday’s deadline.

DEMON STAR FORWARD TO BE A BOMBER

Melbourne forward Sam Weideman looks set to land in Essendon as the fringe forward chases more opportunities.

Weideman has struggled to break into and hold a spot in the Melbourne forward line and appears set to boost the Bombers firepower with The Age’s Michael Gleeson reporting the deal should be over the line on Monday.

In exchange for the former top-10 pick, the Bombers will part with a future third-round pick for Weideman.

The Demons are set to have a busy end to the trade period with the club holding ongoing talks with both Fremantle and West Coast over Luke Jackson.

The Dockers now appear the likely landing spot with the club set to part with pick 13 along with a future first round pick to land the rising star big man.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *