Alexei Popyrin has earned himself a spot in the quarter-finals of the Adelaide International 1 with a come-from-behind win against Marcos Giron.
The Australian claimed a 4-6 6-4 6-3 victory in the second-round encounter, in what was his fourth-consecutive win of the week.
‘Kept me in the match’: Popyrin delivers ace clinic against Giron
Coming off an upset over world No. 6 Félix Auger-Aliassime, Popyrin was faced with a tricky match-up against experienced American player Giron.
In a relatively tight opening set, Giron was able to snag the crucial break and put himself in the driving seat.
However, Popyrin powered back into the tie, hitting an impressive total of 16 aces as he took the next two sets.
He won an impressive 84 per cent of first-serve points during the one-hour and 52-minute clash.
“In the first set my level wasn’t great, but [Giron] played well and didn’t miss any balls,” Popyrin said post-match.
“It made it difficult for me. But I stuck with it, I served pretty well throughout. That kept me in the match.
“And then when I had my opportunities to break, I tried to capitalise on it.”
You have to see it to believe it! 🤯
— Wide World of Sports (@wwos) January 4, 2023
Popyrin will now meet Yoshihito Nishioka in the quarterfinals, with the pair having never previously played against each other.
Kokkinakis to face Italian star Sinner in Round of 16
Fellow Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis will look to join Popyrin in the Adelaide quarterfinals when he takes on Jannik Sinner on Thursday night.
Adelaide-born Kokkinakis will come into the match as the heavy underdog, with world No. 15 Sinner viewed as a potential future Grand Slam champion.
The 21-year-old Italian has already won six ATP singles titles in his young career and will be one of the favourites to take out the Adelaide International with a number of stars already knocked out.
Kyrgios withdraws from second week of Adelaide International
Following his earlier United Cup withdrawal, Kyrgios has also pulled out of the Adelaide International 2.
He originally had the event lined up as his final tune-up tournament ahead of the Australian Open.
Despite concerns about his ankle injury, the 27-year-old has shared his intention to prioritise his recovery ahead of the year’s first Grand Slam.
Daniel Horsfall – Kyrgios’ manager – has told The Age that the world No. 22 is “no doubt at all” for the tournament.
He also responded to those who have questioned whether the Australian tennis star’s injuries are genuine.
“We are very excited and working every day to make sure we’re ready for the Australian Open,” Horsfall added.
“A lot of people were upset after he pulled out of the United Cup, but I hope they now realise the injury is genuine. I wish more people would ask questions before putting in their two cents.”
The second week of the Adelaide International will begin on January 9 and is scheduled to wrap up on January 14, two days before the Australian Open begins.