Seven more people have been banned – including a man on bail – from all football-related activity in Australia as investigations continue into the Melbourne derby pitch invasion at AAMI Park last month.
Football Australia has now banned 17 people, including three for life, following the events of December 17, when Melbourne City goalkeeper Tom Glover, referee Alex King and a television cameraman where assaulted during the pitch invasion.
Melbourne Victory was also recently sanctioned for the actions of its supporters, with the club set to receive further punishment next week.
FA chief executive officer, James Johnson said the “ongoing investigation” would continue for
“as long as necessary and will issue further bans”.
“Football Australia’s response to the incident and the significant bans we have issued to date sends a clear message that these people are not welcome in our game and the Australian football community will never tolerate such behaviour in our game,” Johnson said.
“We would like to thank the Victorian Police for its ongoing collaboration through the process.
“We share a mutual commitment to creating safe spaces for our communities and will continue to work together to issue further bans.
“Football Australia also continues its assessment of Melbourne Victory’s response to our show cause notice with final sanctions against the club to follow soon.”
Victoria Police confirmed the seven latest people to have been sanctioned were also subject to “a range of criminal charges”.
The third life ban was issued to a 28-year-old Albert Park man who was charged with riotous behaviour, public nuisance, entering sporting competition space, including the disruption of a match, and committing an indictable offence while on bail.
A 19-year-old Preston man was banned for 20 years after being charged with violent disorder, unlawful assault, riotous behaviour, discharging a missile to cause injure/danger, public nuisance, and a entering sporting competition space, including the disruption of a match, game, sport, or event.
A 15-year ban was slapped on a 25-year-old Reservoir man who was charged with violent disorder, riotous behaviour, public nuisance, enter sporting competition space, including the disruption of a match, game, sport, or event, and two charges of unlawful assault.
Ten-year bans were issued to four other men – a 21-year-old from Sunbury, a 19-year-old from Coburg, a 22-year-old from Croydon and a 22-year-old from Carrum Downs – for a range of similar offences.
None of the seven banned on Friday had existing FA bans in place.