Storm superstar Cameron Munster hits back at ‘disrespectful’ Wayne Bennett

Cameron Munster has fired back at Wayne Bennett, accusing the Dolphins coach of being ‘disrespectful’ following his decision to re-sign with Melbourne.

The 27-year-old was close to making the move to Redcliffe for 2024 and beyond, but opted to remain with the Storm on a long-term deal worth approximately $1 million per season. 

Munster has cemented himself as one of the game’s elite players at both club and representative level – but his previously close bond with the legendary mentor has clearly soured in recent months.

Bennett was coach of the unlikely Origin-winning Maroons outfit in 2020, striking up a great relationship with the Storm playmaker during the series victory.

MORE: Trbojevic joins NRL’s US exodus | Sharks premiership hero returns for 2023

The decision from Munster to remain loyal to Melbourne wasn’t the issue for Bennett, but it was the lack of communication from the five-eighth and his management that irked the Dolphins boss.

“It’s pretty ordinary stuff,” he told Triple M in October.

“That is a tough phone call, it’s a phone call none of us want to make  – but you want to be a man, you have got to behave like one.”

Munster had remained rather silent on the criticism from Bennett, instead turning his attention to helping Australia retain the Rugby League World Cup in dominant fashion, but originally indicated he would make the phone call. 

But during an interview with Channel 7 on Saturday, Munster hit back at the seven-time premiership-winning coach and revealed why he never ended up contacting Bennett after re-signing with Melbourne.

“I felt like it was pretty disappointing,” Munster said.

“[There] probably was a little bit of animosity towards it so that’s one of the reasons why I haven’t decided to ring him.

“I just didn’t like the way they went about it and probably threw my name in the media — it was pretty disrespectful — and saying I wasn’t man enough to ring him.

“I had every intention to [ring him], but after those comments we felt like it was in our best interest to just leave it alone.”

Munster attracted plenty of interest across the NRL in the lead-up to his extension with the Storm, which will see him remain at the club until the end of 2027.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *